Friday, April 3, 2015

Crochet Me a Heart

I never had the chance to ask the questions of my mom, like why her handwriting was so beautiful, or what really happened when she met my dad. As my life progresses and I feel the weight of growing older, I think of so many things that she also lived through, dealt with, or wished never happened. I know she loved to dance (but married a man who didn't) and she never finished high school. But I often wonder where she learned to crochet.


She seemed to turn out doilies and tablecloths in a flash, and if ever there was a baby coming she would whip up a snuggly soft blanket just for the baby shower, and of course a pair of booties. She crocheted flowers and hats and slippers. Much of her creations were off a pattern that she purchased at Woolco along with the multiple skeins of yarn and were given as gifts. She made several bedspreads and throws, pillow covers and a few rugs. One day she found a slipper pattern that she made over and over, altering it to fit better each time. I have one pair stashed away that I can't bear to wear - I want to preserve them like a talisman to the past.

Mom's doll baby 
She crocheted me several dresses when I was a kid, and I remember them being both hot to wear and breezy, with all the gaps in the pattern and the weight of the yarn. I was surprised that she kept them, and for a moment I thought about putting one on Erica. She didn't agree to that (and I totally understood why). She created a Barbie wedding dress, and several other dresses and tops that I know took mere minutes to make but added a lot of fun to playing with my dolls. She made baby doll clothes, but the baby dolls were hers! She got a kick out of making the fun stuff, and I remember a crochet Easter bunny pin, Halloween pumpkin, toaster cozy, and even a pair of crochet earrings. Everything that mom made by hand is a treasure to me, and I can't fathom letting them go.

Pinterest would have kept her busy, with a new project every day. My cousin Jeri is keeping the tradition going, and I love that she wants to do something that many think is "old fashioned." there is something wonderful about making something that is creative, unique, and lasting. I think about learning to crochet, and my mother-in-law has shown me how to get started making a pot holder. I have at least two rows done (one row a year!).  I know I will never be as good as mom, and I know I won't have the lifelong interest, but at least her creations live on.

No comments: