Thursday, April 2, 2015

Best Man

It's been almost 20 years since our wedding. We had a western theme, with cowboy boots and country music. It was the second marriage for both of us, and we invited a small group of friends and family. It was not perfect, as weddings never are, but we had a great time making our commitment to each other. 

The easiest part for me was choosing my sister to be my Maid of Honor. I had made a big mistake in choosing a friend in my first wedding, a friend who was a no-show on the morning of my wedding, forcing me to ask a guest to stand in. The most awkward moment of my life.

Mark chose to have as his Best Man a friend that he was close to at the time. Men have a different idea of friendship anyway. But since our wedding we haven't seen Carlos. What makes a best man? It was a choice that was only up to Mark, and whether or not we see Carlos, he was there on our big day, doing the Best Man job, and that's all that matters, regardless if we kept in touch.

No comments: