Friday, February 27, 2015

The Frugal Trap

The last eleven years have been a long journey into frugal madness for me. We agreed that when our daughter was born I would be the stay at home parent, and that meant cutting back on some (many) spending habits. It's been difficult, but also rewarding. I am proud of not having a car payment, and for not throwing our money away on impulse spending. It's a constant balancing act.

I used to be the one who balanced the checkbook every month (more like every week) and was keenly aware of where our money was going. And then I got lazy. I was caught up in the rest of my life, and face it, budgeting is boring! So I made sure the bills were paid and that we had not overdrawn the checking account, and that was it. But soon I felt guilty for not being better about money. I was raised by very frugal, money conscious parents and they would never approve of my lax approach to our finances. Then recently one day, purely by chance, I listened to Dave Ramsey on the radio. He is a been there - done that - kind of guy, and is not afraid to admit he has failed and then rose up to become a wealthy man. While I didn't need his advice ( I already knew this stuff, thanks to mom and dad) I did like hearing about the people who had paid off countless debts and were now debt free. I wanted to be like them.

I took only one approach toward debt that Ramsey advises: pay cash. I have been using the money envelope system for only two months and it's such a relief! I know the money is set aside, designated toward that one monthly expense. This has made such a great impact on my financial stress level.

However.... there is always a however. I find myself with money in my pocket now, where before I always used the credit card, and I didn't shop that often. I have the urge to spend the money, even if it's frugally. Especially if it's frugally (like at the thrift store). On an impulse I bought a scooter that was like the one I had as a kid (and that old, too) and I probably overpaid for it, plus I don't have a need for it (although my one year old grandson will for a short time). But it's my money, right? I can use it for whatever I want, right? I am better off not spending anything so I can avoid this inner conflict!

I'm not quitting the money envelope system, or being frugal. I need to stay away from thrift stores (unless I have a specific need) and definitely of the Facebook "yard sale" group pages. Those are the worst! 


No comments: