Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Spinning Wheels

I've been riding my bicycle to work these past few weeks. The weather has been simply perfect to make the one mile or so journey, and I have to say that it makes me feel like a kid again. I haven't tried to ride "no hands" but it's definitely putting the burn on my leg muscles. I started riding to help save some gas and wear on my car, since we are in a financial crunch after Marks' heart attack and medical bills. Add in my shorter work hours and it's been challenging to make ends meet. When I was a kid, I thought it was "enz meat, a sort of cheap dinner dish.

I've felt a little pressure to ramp up my exercise routine (meaning, get off the couch!) as well, and somehow make those muscles work. It's not been enough over the summer to lift my infant grandson, Ryder, I guess. Exercise has never been something I have done consistently, and until recently I have been able to let my metabolism be in charge of my weight. But the past few months have been more stressful and when I finally stepped on the scale it showed me the real truth... 15 extra pounds! Mark has been doing cardiac rehab for six weeks, and Erica is challenged every day in the Phys Ed class, so I felt a bit guilty for not doing something myself.

Riding my bike for about 20 minutes a day is not going to be the answer to all... but I do get a rush from the wind in my face, and the feel of the gears changing as I go. By the time I get to the school my blood is pumping and my legs are a bit jiggly as I get off and park my bike. But it's a good feeling.

No comments: